Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is now available WYH!
- Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is a pill taken every day for 30 days that can help prevent HIV infection in people who DO NOT have HIV
- When someone is exposed to HIV through sex or injection drug use, PreP can help stop the virus from establishing a permanent infection.
- When used consistently, PrEP has been shown reduce the risk of HIV infection in people who are at high risk by more than 90%
- It provides you greater protection if used alongside condoms and other preventive methods compared to taking it alone.
- PrEP is covered by most insurance programs, but if you do not have insurance, the PrEP Specialist will navigate the PrEP Medication Assistance Program (MAP) and NY State PrEP-AP Program if you meet the eligibility criteria.
- PrEP does not prevent other sexually transmitted diseases or pregnancy.
Contact Sue Johnson, PrEP Specialist at 465-4771 ext. 4648 for additional information, eligibility and requirements for PrEP.